Method of Preparation
Cooking Time 70 minutes
- Butter for greasing
- 450 g/1 lb black cherries, stoned
- 25 g/1 oz golden granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 55 g/2 oz golden caster sugar
- 55 g/2 oz self-raising flour
- 150 ml/5 fl oz double cream
- 300 ml/10 fl oz milk
- 2tbsp kirsch (optional)
- Lightly whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190°C or 375°F or Gas Mark 5. Grease a Nine inch square baking dish.
- Arrange the cherries in the dish & sprinkle with the granulated sugar & set aside.
- Mix the eggs and caster sugar in a bowl and whisk together until light and frothy. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a separate bowl and add, all at once, to the egg mixture prepared. Beat in thoroughly, then whisk in the cream followed by the milk and kirsch, if using. Pour the batter over the cherries.
Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, until slightly risen and set in the centre. Serve warm with cream.