Mulled apple cider is a delicious and warming drink that is perfect for the colder months. It is typically made with apple cider, spices, and alcohol, but this recipe uses turkey tail mushrooms to add an extra boost of health benefits.
Here is what you need:
- 3 cups apple cider
- 1/8 cup dried turkey tail mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon dried astragalus root pieces
- sliver of fresh ginger root (about 1/4 inch)
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
- 1 whole clove
- optional: 3 or 4 spicebush berries
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until they reach a simmer.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and maintain a gentle simmer for approximately one hour. Avoid prolonged heating, as it may result in a bitter taste.
- Strain the mixture to remove any solids.
- Serve a portion in a mug and sweeten with raw honey to your liking.
- Store any remaining cider in the refrigerator.
The turkey tail mushrooms in this recipe add a subtle earthy flavor to the cider and also boost its immune-boosting properties. Astragalus root is another adaptogenic herb that can help to support the immune system. The ginger root adds a touch of warmth and spice, and the cinnamon and cloves give the cider a classic mulled flavor.
This recipe is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy apple cider during the colder months. It is also a great way to get your daily dose of antioxidants and immune-boosting nutrients.
Here are some tips for making turkey tail mulled apple cider:
- Use fresh or dried turkey tail mushrooms. Fresh turkey tails will have a stronger flavor, but dried turkey tails are more convenient.
- Soak the turkey tail mushrooms in water for 30 minutes before using. This will help to soften them and make them easier to digest.
- Add other spices to your liking. Some other popular spices to add to mulled apple cider include nutmeg, allspice, and cardamom.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.
Turkey tail mulled apple cider is a delicious and healthy drink that is perfect for the colder months. It is a great way to get your daily dose of antioxidants and immune-boosting nutrients. So next time you are looking for a warm and comforting drink, give turkey tail mulled apple cider a try.
Article Submitted By Community Writer