Pasta salad, as we know it today, came down from a long line of intentionally dressed macaroni dishes. The dressing is usually olive oil/vinegar, mayonnaise and cream sauces with the addition of vegetables, herbs and spices and varies according to cuisine and individual taste. They successfully made their way into the American cookbooks around the 20th century. Pasta salad is a delectable way of loading carbohydrates. This is one simple and thrifty dish which is upscale, affordable and a practical way of utilizing left overs. When making a pasta salad, the inspiration can be either Italian or French or Asian or maybe a combination of the tastes you love. When making a pasta salad, always bear in mind that the pasta you choose should be high in starch. Well lubricated pasta is the secret to having a non sticky salad. You can use the following salad as an appetizer, main dish or a side dishes for your meals or picnics.
1 (20 oz.) packet frozen cheese ravioli
1 cup sliced carrots (thinly)
2 cups trimmed, snow pea pods
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
10 oz. packet Italian mixed salad greens
1-1/2 cup bottled peppercorn ranch salad dressing
1. Cook the ravioli in a large pasta pan with lightly salted boiling water or according to the packet instructions.
2. Remove the pasta with a slotted spoon and refresh it under cold water, and finally drain it again before transferring to a large mixing bowl.
3. Now in another pan bring salt water to the boil and cook carrots, then add pea pods and cook for 1-2 minutes or until tender.
4. Drain, then refresh under cold water and shake dry.
5. Take them off with a strainer and pour onto the salad dressing along with bell pepper.
6. Finally add salad dressing and toss to cover them completely.
7. Place the salad greens on large platter and top with the ravioli mixture
8. Serve it immediately or chill the salad and serve with the greens later on.
1. When making a pasta salad always rinse it well in cold water.
2. Make sure that the dressing is thick enough to stick to the pasta and the other ingredients.
3. To make the pasta retain the moisture add cucumbers or tomatoes. They have the ability to maintain the smooth balance of pasta and dressing.
4. If you plan to refrigerate your pasta salad, always check on the seasonings before serving, for cold temperatures reduces flavors.