Bread and butter pudding is a traditional English recipe that is easy to make and cost effective as it is basically made from leftover or slightly stale bread. It is a common dessert that can be found on kitchen tables and menus all over the world. Bread and butter pudding makes a wonderful dessert after any meal. This is a good combination with English custard, and a delicious treat on winter nights. You could add cream, chocolate, and eggs to make it richer. Also making it does not requires any sophisticated skills, basic knowledge of cooking is more than enough. All that you need to do is to follow the simple steps given below and you can serve your hand made bread and butter pudding to your loved ones at your next special occasion.
1. 4 slices of stale (white) bread
2. 2 eggs
3. 2 tsp of granulated sugar
4. 2 tsp of castor sugar
5. 3 tsp of mixed raisins and other dried fruits
6. A pinch of ground nutmeg
7. 2 oz of butter
8. 4 cups of milk
9. 1 tsp of water
1. Apply butter on the bread
The bread used for the purpose of making this dish must be slightly stale. A week old bread will do good. With the help of a butter knife spread a layer of butter on each slice of bread and then remove the crusts of the bread..
2. Garnishing the bread with raisins
Now cut each slice of bread into four quarters. Spread a single layer of these sliced breads on the bottom of the pie dish, but before that do not forget to grease the pie dish. On this layer of bread, garnish some of the raisins and sultanas. Also sprinkle a little caster sugar over it. Add another layer of buttered bread over the previous layer and garnish it again with raisins and sugar as was done in the previous step. Repeat this process until all the bread has been used up.
3. Preparing the custard for the pudding
Add the eggs to a bowl and beat them. To this add rosewater, granulated sugar, and milk. Stir this mixture gently to make the custard. Pour the custard slowly over the bread layers and allow it to soak into the bread for about one hour.
4. Bake the bread in oven
While the custard is getting soaked into the bread, heat your oven to 180oC. Sprinkle a little extra sugar and nutmeg over the top of the soggy bread. Place this into the pre-heated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the pudding is set. Take out the pudding from the oven and allow it to cool for 30 minutes. Your bread and butter pudding is now ready to be served.
Frequently asked questions
Q. How can I freeze bread and butter pudding?
A. Freezing saves the pudding for a later date. You must store the pudding in an airtight container to prevent it from absorbing the odors from the outside. But no matter how you freeze the pudding, use it within a month for best quality and flavor. Follow the steps given below to freeze your bread and butter pudding.
- Cover the entire pudding with a plastic wrap. Make sure that the pudding has been covered from all the sides and it is not exposed to open air from any side.
- Now take a freezer bag and place the pudding into it. Seal the bag after pushing out the excess air from it.
- Place this bag into the freezer. This completes the freezing process of pudding.
1.You must leave the pudding to set in refrigerator at least 24 hours before serving.
2. You can serve it hot with whipped cream or ice cream. For variation, you can try serving it along with English custard.
Thins to watch out for
1. You need to be careful while taking out the dish from the oven as it will be hot; and carelessness from your side might give you burns.
2. It must always be kept in mind that this is not a low fat dessert.