Plum and almond galettes are very easy to make and are wonderfully crispy. It is the crispiest of all pies. The galette keeps everything exposed and so there is practically no mystery to the mouth-watering dish. All the tasty ingredients are visible, specially the juicy ripe plums and so it makes a very delicious picture. It isn’t time consuming and if you have the ingredients, which are not difficult to collect, then you can have it ready in minutes. It has the rich texture of roasted almonds with a soft plum inside and is sweet and equally tart. You can also put in your favorite combination and spices like golden raisins, nutmeg an cinammons. You can exercise your imagination and put in your skills to bake it in minutes and make your sweet tooth happy.
Name of the dish : Plum and almond galette
Complexity level: Easy
Time needed: 50 minutes to 1 hour
Ingredients for the topping
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (grounded)
Ingredients for the galette
- 5 ripe plums
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 sheet of prepared butter puff pastry rolled into 12″ * 12″ square
- 1 tsp coarse sugar
1. Prepare the oven to reach the temperatre of 375F. Take the almonds and toss them on a baking sheet till they take a golden hue. After it cools, mix the other ingredients such as butter, cinnamon, flour and sugar and set it aside for a while.
2. Then cut the plums into eight pieces and toss it with brown sugar. Then take a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and place prepared puff pastry on it. Put the almond mixture in the middle ofthe puff pastry.
3. Place the plums on the almond mixture leaving 2″ of pastry border. The remain of the almond mixture is to be sprinkled on top of the plums. Then pull the edges of the pastry over the layer of the plums (outer layer). Make pleats around the pastry to make a rough edged circle. Brush it egg yolk and sprinkle it with coarse sugar on top. Start baking it for 45 minutes till the plums soften and the pastry takes a golden tinge.
1. Roll the dough properly.
2. Bake enough to make the crust brown.
Serves: 6 to 8 servings.
Each serving has 336 calories, 2.41 grams of fiber, 20 grams of fat,37 grams of carbohydrates, 5 grams of protein, 10 grams of saturated fat, 255 mg of sodium, and 41 mg of cholesterol.