Fillet of Beef Bourguignon is a classic traditional recipe which is prepared by stewing the beef. This recipe is popular in America, but it was originated in France. Fillet of Beef Bourguignon is a dish that is based on fillets of meats, aromatics, and vegetables. It is a hot and salty dish to be prepared within a few minutes. It is tender and juicy. This specialty of the meat, after being cooked makes it popular and highly circulated in the states. Now, it is a household name there. Let’s have a look at the complete recipe to prepare the dish.
75 to 90 minutes
1 fillet of well trimmed beef
110 g diced bacon
2 crushed garlic cloves
500 ml beef stock
1 table spoon tomato puree
22g g peeled pearl onion or shallots
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 table spoon plain flour
8 to 10 carrots diagonally cut in 1 inch size
350 ml good quality red wine such as burgundy or chianti
3 to 4 table spoon olive oil
Salt per taste
Fresh black peeper ground with salt
1/2 tea spoon peeper
45 g unsalted butter
250 g mushroom sliced into 1 cm thickness
- First of all the fillet of beef needs to be cut into 2 cm slices.
- Cut the beef fillet accordingly with a knife.
- Add salt an peeper to the fillets from both sides.
- Put a spacious pan on the stove to cook the slices.
- Add oil to the pan.
- Put the slices of fillets in batches to cook in high medium heat.
- Cook the fillets in oil until they turn brown
- Cook them at least 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Once the outer part turns brown and the inner part turn almost brown, replace the cooked fillets to a plate and keep them aside.
- Add some more oil to the pan.
- Put the bacon in the pan to cook them.
- Cook the bacon in a low medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Keep cooking the bacon until they turn crispy and the color becomes brown.
- Replace the bacon to another plate and set them aside after being cooked.
- Remove all the excessive oil from the pan.
- Add only 2 table spoon oil to the pan.
- Place it on the stove and put garlic in it to cook for 30 seconds.
- Add some red wine to the pan and cook them on high heat for a minute.
- Add the beef stock, tomato puree, thyme, 1 table spoon salt, 1/2 table spoon peeper to the pan.
- Make this mixture boil by cooking it for about 10 minutes.
- Do not cover the pan.
- Remove sauce and return it to the pan.
- Add the peeled onions and sliced carrots to the mixture.
- Cook it in a simmer heat for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cook until the sauce is dried and vegetables are cooked completely.
- Prepare a paste by taking 2 table spoon of butter and flour.
- Mix it well and cook in simmer until it gets thickened.
- Cook the mushroom in another pan by adding butter and oil until it gets brown and tender.
- Now add the mushrooms, the bacon, the fillets to the pan.
- Add vegetables and sauce to the pan too.
- Cover the pan and heat for about 10 minutes.
- The fillet of Beef Bourguignon is ready now.