The stuffed Quail Gumbo is a main course dish from the french cuisine or rather, to be more precise, the Cajun Cuisine. Quail, when literally translated means “duck” (although chicken is often used) and Gumbo is meant to be soup (kind of thin gravy) in the Cajun cuisine.
The stuffing is, however, made up of andouille sausages blended with bacon, vegetables, and rice. Among the vegetables, notably, onions, bell peppers and celery are considered to be the soul of Cajun cuisine. The Cajun chefs often dice them before adding and call them the “Holy Trinity” of the Cajun cuisine.
Complexity level: Moderate
Time taken : 1 hours and 35 minutes
- 4 quail (on bone)
- Ground pepper (as per taste)
- File Powder : half teaspoons
- Steamed rice – 1 cup.
- andouille sausages – 8 nos.
- butter (melted)
- chopped onions (1 cup)
- 4 shucked oyesters
- green pepper (chopped, half cup)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- celery – half cup, chopped
- garlic – one tsb., minced.
- bay leaves – 2 nos
- 1.5 cups of flour
- chicken broth – about 8 cups.
- Salt to taste.
- Sprinkle pinches of salt and pepper to the quail.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and file powder to the rice kept in a bowl.
- Stuff in the rice, sausage, oyster and rice layer in the cavities of each quail and press down using your fingers in order to seal.
- Put the arrangement on a baking dish and sprinkle salt, pepper and file powder. Add butter layers to the quail surface.
- Bring water to boil and add the remaining 4 nos of sausages and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add flour. Stir vigorously using a whisk until the mixture turns dark brown (for about 6 minutes, approx.).
- Add onions, celery and green pepper. Cook for 4 min (keep stirring). Add the broth. Stir vigorously and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the oyster liquor, bay leaves and simmer for 30-35 minutes.
- Besides, Preheat the microwave at 450 degrees of temperature and bake the arrangement for half an hour until it turns light brown.
- After the baking is complete, transfer the baked content to the liquid on simmer and cook for 5 minutes allowing the aroma to blend.
- Serve Hot.