Spices need to be an essential part of our food. Not only do they add to the flavor of the food, but also are good for our health. Penn State University research shows that the diet that contains herbs and spices lessens the problems caused by high fat meals. The study observed two groups, one that had these herbs in their meal and the other, which did not. It was found that the former had 30% less blood fats levels as compared to the latter. The seasonings included the everyday spices like rosemary, thyme, oregano, turmeric, cloves etc. Moreover, the antioxidants in their body were found to be 13% higher than the ones who had food without these seasonings.
Another research says that herbs and spices encourage natural weight loss. They keep your stomach full, thus making you eat less and increase metabolism.
A similar research conducted in the University of Florida, observed that people consuming more antioxidants generally are thinner as compared to the others who intake less antioxidants. This has been proved by giving equal amounts of food to both.
Mentioning about the antioxidant capacity, a single teaspoon cinnamon equals half a cup of blueberries. Moreover, a pinch of oregano is equal to sweet potato (half cup). Moreover, they taste and smell much better than the bland diet food.
When can we use these herbs and spices in our everyday meal?
- How about adding some spice to your cup of coffee or tea? Cinnamon, cloves or nutmeg can add to the flavor and smell of your hot drink.
- You can also add grated ginger to yoghurt.
- Whole grain bread can be filled with grilled garlic cloves. You can have them with vine-ripened tomatoes.
- Simply garnish your ice tea, mocktail or cocktail with mint leaves. Moreover, you can also add these mint leaves to your jar of water.
- Salads can be garnished with cardamom or lime squeezed on it.
- You can use rosemary as a garnish while roasting you peaches or plums.
- You can enhance black beans with cilantro.
- You can also sprinkle some crushed pepper on the salad.
- Sandwiches and burgers can be made delicious by adding basil leaves.
- You can add nuts to make hot chocolate crunchy. They can also be flavored using cinnamon, mint, etc.
Just a small pinch of herbs and spices can do wonders to both your dish and your health. So, do not forget to garnish your food with these little wonders.