Every morning we wake up with a worry – what to make for breakfast? Undoubtedly, sandwiches form a staple breakfast in most households. They are hassle free, not time consuming and taste super delicious. They are the best option when you want to grab a quick bite in this fast paced environment, especially for working professionals. Here’s a very easy chicken sandwich recipe which looks appealing, is incredibly filling and nutritious. It can be packed for lunch too. The ingredients are readily available and can be prepared by almost anyone at home. Kids would enjoy this hugely and they can be served for parties as well.
Complexity level: Easy
Time taken: 30 minutes to 1 hour
Ingredients required for the sandwich:
Choice of bread, lightly toasted. You can use pita bread, ciabatta or raisin breads.
A little butter, optional
Ingredients for the chicken salad:
3 lean chicken breasts, boiled and shredded finely
3/4 cup finely chopped celery or your choice of herbs
2 green onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup seedless grapes
3/4 dried cranberries
3/4 cup salad dressing (Marzetti is suggested)
Coarsely ground black pepper
1 tsp paprika
Salt for seasoning
Procedure to make the sandwich:
1. Take a bowl and mix all the ingredients for the chicken salad mentioned above.
2. Check the level of seasoning that suits you and mix it in accordingly. Now refrigerate the salad mix for a minimum of one hour or let it chill overnight for best results.
3. Spread some butter on your choice of bread and place the lettuce leaves on them.
4. Now, add a good spoonful of the salad mix on top. Cover it with another layer of lettuce, followed by another slice of bread.
And, there you go! Your simple, yummy and scrumptious chicken sandwich is ready to be served.
Garnishing and serving tips:
Place the sandwiches on a platter and serve with some ketchup and french fries. The salad can even be used as a side dish.
Some quick tips:
1. This sandwich can be enjoyed by vegetarians too. All they have to do is replace the shredded chicken with some fresh cottage cheese. A mix of boiled vegetables like carrots, french beans, shredded cucumber, chopped tomato, broccoli, peas, boiled potato etc can also be used.
2. With the intelligent use of some of the ingredients, this sandwich can become very healthy. For example, substitute brown bread, oatmeal bread or multi-grain bread for white bread. You may also use low fat yoghurt instead of mayonnaise.
3. If you really wish to indulge a bit, then go ahead and add a slice of low fat cheese in between.