A dish that is a combination of two amazing fast foods of Southern America. Sausages and chow chow are two equally famous dishes that youths crave for. To begin with, chow-chow is a pickled savory made of veggies as tomatoes, onions, cabbage, asparagus. The chow-chow is savored by Americans along with burgers, hot dogs and other delicacies. Pairing it up with sausages was a hit formula for its success. Sausages as we all know are a part of an American staple diet. Serving sausages with onion chow-chow is absolutely delightful and salivates your mouth just by the mere mention of it. A quick and easy recipe is coming your way on how to prepare this delicious dish and enjoy it with your family.
1. 3 sweet onions, sliced into 1/2 inch thick roundels
2. 3 jalapenos
3. Few drops of extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
4. 1/4 cup cider vinegar preferably. (If not available, then you can use white vinegar or a few drops of lemon juice)
5. 1/2 cup light brown sugar
6. 1/3 cup grainy mustard
7. 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
8. 1/3 teaspoon caraway seeds
9. 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
10. 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 teaspoons milk or water
11. Salt and freshly ground pepper for seasoning
12. 3 pounds mixed sausages( chicken, beef, pork)
1. Heat a grill or a barbecue. If grilling in a microwave, then preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Then skewer each onion roundel and jalapenos with the help of a toothpick. Brush the onion roundels and jalapenos with few drops of olive oil and grill on hot scale until the roundels and jalapenos become charred and smoky aroma is emitted. Turn the skewer and again brush the veggies with olive oil and roast till slightly crisp, for about 10 more minutes. Remove the toothpicks and skewer. Roughly chop the onions. Peel the burnt portion and finely chop the jalapenos.
2. In a medium sized saucepan, add the cider vinegar or its alternatives with the light brown sugar, and start caramelizing the sugar until it takes a rich red color. Then add the grainy mustard, the Dijon mustard, caraway seeds and turmeric powder and bring to a boil. Simmer the flame. Add the roasted and chopped onions and jalapenos and cook over medium flame, stirring continuously, until the liquid starts forming a texture, say for about 12 minutes. Pour the cornstarch mixture slowly, taking care to keep stirring the liquid continuously to avoid forming lumps. Then cook until slightly thickened, for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as per your taste.
3. Grill the sausages over high fire taking care that they don’t get burnt by rotating the skewer repeatedly. Grill it for about 10 minutes. Serve hot, the grilled sausages with the onion chow chow.
1. Kindly take care not to overcook the sausages or season them as in some cases, they are already cooked and seasoned with herbs and spices.
2. Cornstarch should be mixed with only cold milk or water.
3. Lower the flame before adding cornstarch solution.