Wheat berries fall under the whole grain category. They are edible wheat kernels which have had their husks removed. They have a great deal of nutrition value as they’re rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Wheat berry includes the germ, bran and endosperm of the wheat kernel and depending on the variety, it can vary from tannish to red in colour. It is widely used in salads and even breads for texture.
Wheat berries can be incorporated in one’s everyday diet quite easily since there are a list of food items that complement the addition of wheat berry in them. From salads to baked breads to even gravy vegetables, wheat berry can find its way into literally all the three main meals of the day.
One of the main dishes that can be eaten anytime throughout the day is:
Wheat berry stuffed peppers
Turn your kitchen into a Mediterranean style holiday home with this great recipe to soothe your taste buds. Who said healthy food had to always be bland?
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Â½ cup chopped onions
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Â½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Â¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- Â¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 5 red, orange or yellow bell peppers
For bottom filling
- 2 cups Ricotta cheese
- 1 Egg
- Â½ Salt
- Â½ teaspoon dry leaf basil
- Additional extra virgin olive oil for final drizzling.
- Â¼ cup Parmesan cheese
1. Firstly, preheat the oven to 400Â° F.
2. Then, cut five peppers in equal halves lengthwise and remove the seeds and membranes.
3. Now, just for a couple of minutes blanch these pepper halves and be sure not to over cook.
4. Then, arrange these halves in a vegetable baking dish.
5. For the filling, warm one tablespoon oil in a hot pan/skillet and add mushrooms, cumin, garlic, onion and pepper. Saute until onions begin to brown lightly and add spinach and sautÃ© until the spinach is wilted i.e has lost all water.
6. Now, remove the pan from heat add the wheat berries, parsley and feta cheese and toss everything together.
7. Then, mix ricotta cheese,salt, egg and basil.
8. Finally, spoon some ricotta cheese mixture into each pepper half.
9. Fill equal portion of wheat berry mixture and drizzle about Â½ teaspoon of olive oil over each pepper half with a little parmesan cheese for a rich flavor.
10. Finally, bake in the oven for 30 minutes and serve hot!
For organic wheat berry consumers look for producers who cultivate organic wheat berry. Wheat berries have gluten in them, so people with gluten intolerance should avoid its consumption entirely.