Sweet potato pie
Pie in the simplest of sense means baking or filling of savory or sweet ingredients in casings of water, fat and flour. Its origins can be traced back to 1303 A.D. The basic procedures and concept has changed little over the years. Pastry composition and cooking methods all have detailed records in the history books. The first pies were simple and of the savory (cheese and meat) kind. Those were sold by street vendors and majorly enjoyed by working classes.
The pie is popular in almost all corners of the world. Because it is easy to make and delicious to eat, it has seen many experiments with its basic form. Sweet potato pie is one such fine example of it. The dish is mouth watering and can be made hassle free. A perfect dish for Thanksfiving Day or the Sabbath lunch, it goes particularly well with turkey.
Here is the recipe for the dish.
Complexity level: Easy
Time taken: Two and a half hours to three hours
5 medium-size sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 9-inch ready-to-bake pie crusts
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
2 cups soy milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1. In a 4 quart pot, place the sweet potatoes and cover it with water. Close the lid and bring it to a boil. Simmer potatoes for about 20- 30 minutes till they get fork tender.
2. Now drain the potatoes. To smoothly mix the potatoes, use an electric mixer. Now allow them to cool. You can refrigerate them if you want quick cooling.
3. Next, you will have to preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Mix together vanilla, eggs, sugar and soy milk together in a bowl. Also mix salt, cinnamon and flour in a bowl. Now mix the ingredients of both the cup to the potatoes. Stir well until the mixture is smooth.
5. Now comes the filling part. Fill the pie crust with this mixture.
6. Bake pies for 60 minutes. To make sure that it is properly baked, insert a knife inside the pie. If it comes out clean, it is perfectly baked.
1. You can also bake potatoes in oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 45-60 minutes (until soft enough) instead of boiling them.
2. Kids generally donât like âsweet potatoâ. What you can do is choose not to tell them that it is made of one. Once they take the first bite, they will really like it and then you can divulge the other details.