Many of us assume that Chinese food includes only Manchurian, Schezwan, noodles and Chili. But I differ from this age-old myth. Chinese cooking involves the use of a lot of sauces, but it has a wide variety to offer to you. Chicken in oyster sauce is one of those recipes which will leave you licking your fingers. It is an authentic Chinese recipe that hasn’t grown old. Unlike other Chinese food, it is easy to prepare and does not take up much of your time. It is widely loved all over the world and not just Chinese, but the whole world swears by its taste. So be it potluck, lunch or dinner, cook this amazing recipe and win kudos for yourself. But one statutory warning-no matter in what quantity you prepare this dish, one thing’s for sure, you’ll always run short of it.
1. 3 tablespoons sesame oil
2. 2 shallots minced finely
3. 1 medium sized garlic clove minced
4. 1 pound chicken meat minced
5. 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
6. 4 Chinese mushrooms, sliced into halves
7. 1 can baby corn
8. 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
9. 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, preferably sichuan pepper, (black pepper powder can also be used)
10. 1 tablespoon cornstarch
11. 2 tablespoons rice wine
12. 1 cup chicken broth
13. 2 teaspoons MSG
14. Salt and sugar to taste
15. Cooked rice to serve with
1. In a bowl, mix the soy sauce and rice wine to form a sauce and add to the chicken, mixing in with chopstick. .
2. Heat the sesame oil in a wok on high heat. Add the marinated chicken and deep-fry until brown.
3. Remove the pound chicken when cooked and drain using paper towels. Remove the oil out of the wok.
4. Boil the mushrooms and baby corn slices slightly in boiling salt water, drain in a colander, and set aside.
5. Pour the oil back into the wok on high heat until ripples appear. Add the onion pieces, minced garlic and stir fry on high heat for 2 minutes or till onion slices change color.
6. Add the mushrooms and baby corns and keep tossing. After a while add the fried chicken and keep stirring continuously so that the sauce mixes with the chicken.
7. Now add seasonings,ground pepper and the chicken broth.
8. Let it boil, then lower the heat and simmer chicken until chicken becomes soft. Add MSG.
9. Remove mushroom pieces and baby corns and place them in a serving dish.
10. Remove chicken from the sauce and arrange in the serving dish. Stir cornstarch in water and add to the sauce, stirring constantly, until thick. Pour over the chicken and serve hot with cooked rice.
1. While adding cornstarch to the sauce stir continuously to prevent forming lumps.
2. MSG is optional and if preparing this dish for kids it’s better if you avoid it.