Pita chips are the perfect companions to go with dips, spreads and salsas and complement appetizer spreads very well. Asides, they are a healthy snack option that can be readily made at home. Pita chips are crunchier and thicker in size when compared to regular chips and act as a healthy substitute for the normally available chips that are high in salt and fat content.
Pita chips are made from pita bread , which first originated in Greece. Pita is the western name for the Arabic bread Khubz meaning “ordinary bread”. Pita is a widely used ingredient of Western, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean and Turkish cuisines. Its culinary usage varies according to the country. The popularity of Pita rose to its peak during 1970’s owing to its extended use as sandwich in the form of stuffed Pita pockets where the Pita breads were stuffed with various food ingredients to form a Pita pocket.
Complexity level: Easy
Estimated time: 10-15 minutes approximately.
- Pocket pita loaves – 6
- Extra virgin oil – 3 tbsp
- Sea salt to taste
- Baking sheet
- Baking brush
- Pizza cutter or serrated bread knife
- Kitchen knife
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit keeping the rack at the center position of the oven.
- Using the kitchen knife slice the pita loaves to slit open two equal pita round pieces.
- With the help of a pizza cutter or a serrated bread knife slice each pita round into 8 equal slices.
- Brush the cut pita pieces with extra virgin olive oil with the help of a baking brush.
- Sprinkle the wedges with sea salt as per taste.
- Flavor up the wedges with spices as per your choice. You can chose from an array of spices like cumin, garlic, freshly ground black pepper , and oils. And for all the sweet lovers , you can make a topping of brown cinnamon sugar.
- After all the dressing is completed, put the wedges on a baking sheet and place it in the preheated oven.
- Let the pieces bake for 7-10 minutes until they turn golden brown. After which turn the pieces upside down and bake for another 2 minutes.
- Pita chips are ready to serve. They can be served warm or at room temperature.
- Pita chips can be stored up to 5 days. If you want to store pita chips for future use, make sure to put them in an air tight container or resealable plastic bags .
- If the Pita chips become soggy pop them in the oven for a few minutes.
- Cooking time of Pita chips vary and they might get burnt. To avoid the chips from burning keep checking them after 5 minutes and every 2 minutes from thereon.