We all need to keep vegetables in our daily diet but the same old boiled veggies do not appeal to our taste buds. Grilling and roasting the vegetables is a great way of making them sumptuous without much toil. You must have found it difficult to feed veggies to your little ones but once you try feeding them roasted veggies you will be surprised by the difference in their attitude. The roasted veggies taste great especially in the winter months. Another reason why you should prepare this dish in winter times is that those are the months of festivity and there is a huge variety of veggies readily available in the market. You will get organic produce much more easily at that time of year. Some of the veggies which taste great when roasted are carrots, eggplants, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, turnips, and winter squash. You can have healthier meals by including roasted veggies in your daily diet and avoiding the dishes like potato hash which is made with lots of butter. People often try to make their boiled veggies tasty with the help of cheese, butter, sauce and mayo. The roasted veggies are much healthier than such fattening food stuffs.
Why should you roast the Veggies?
When the veggies are roasted their taste is enhanced and the flavors get increased. The raw smells of the veggies are gone and the sweetness they possess gets intensified and prominent. This can be proved by the example of garlic. The raw garlic doesn’t taste good but the roasted garlic is sweeter and tastier. Every veggie becomes more tasteful when it is roasted. The use of spices like salt and pepper increase their natural flavors. Boiled or steamed veggies lack the crispy appeal of the roasted veggies. They do not make you feel deprived just because there is no meat in the menu.
Methods of roasting Veggies
- Cut the vegetables in even and proportionate pieces. The small sized vegetables can be roasted as a whole but for bigger veggies you will have to cut them into equal pieces so that each piece gets cooked at the same time.
- Get the veggies lightly fried in oil. Toss the veggies on a big frying pan or the roasting bowl and drizzle your choice of oil on them. You may add some garlic slices or chopped chilies and get the veggies soak their flavors.
- Make sure there is enough room for the vegetables to soak the hot steam and get softened.
- Choose the top third counter of the oven for roasting veggies.
- Sprinkle salt before starting the roasting process and once again when the veggies are done.
- Toss them once or twice so that all sides are cooked evenly.
- They should become brownish and soft.