What’s not to love about brown sugar cut-out cookies? In addition to being extremely moist, crunchy and delicious, they can be made in a variety of sizes and shapes, and can be decorated in innumerable, really creative ways. Better yet, you can deviate from the traditional sugar coated cookies and add some spices for extra zing!
So how do you go about making these delicious morsels? Just follow this simple recipe and a few important tips to bake up a storm and serve these mouthwatering delicacies to your loved ones.
The Recipe for the Perfect Brown, Sugar Cut-Out Cookie
Ingredients you would need
- Dark Brown Sugar : 1 ½ Cup
- Butter (the unsalted variety) : ¾ Cup
- All Purpose-Flour : 3 Cups
- Eggs : 2 No.
- Baking Powder : 1 Tsp.
- Baking Soda : ½ Tsp.
- Salt : ½ Tsp.
- Milk : 1 Tbsp.
- Orange Juice (optional) : ½ Tbsp.
- Emulsion or Extract : 2 Tsp.
- Nutmeg : 1 Tsp.
- Cinnamon (optional) : 2 Tsp.
- Dash Ground Cloves
- Add the sugar and butter to a bowl and whisk the mixture nicely to get a thick cream. Add the orange juice, extract and the eggs to the mixture and whisk until you get a light, fluffy mix.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients one cup at a time to the creamy mix, making sure you keep mixing the batter well to avoid lumps.
- Once the dry ingredients have been completely incorporated into the creamy mix, check the dough consistency. Don’t be alarmed if the dough it a tad bit drier than normal. All you need to make sure is that the dough remains soft and does not become sticky. If so, you can add some more flour to the mix to get the right consistency.
- Let the dough settle for about 10 minutes after which you need to wrap it in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for about half an hour. Note that you can divide the dough into smaller portions and refrigerate them separately.
- Roll the dough on a flat surface, making sure the thickness is about ¼ inch. Use a cookie cutter to cut out different shapes. If the dough appears too sticky, you can dust it lightly with flour.
- Place the individual pieces of dough on a cookie sheet and bake them in the oven at a heat of 375 degrees for at least 10 minutes.
- After removing the cookies from the oven, decorate them with your choice of icing or other flavoring and serve them hot.