Beef stew bursts with flavor; the rich texture of beef saturated in a delicious broth invites tingles on the tongue. A dish is considered beef stew when it includes beef and a liquid base for the meat to be cooked in. Many different recipes of beef stew exist around the word, differing according to geography, recipe and tradition. This is the easiest recipe for diners to relish the succulence of cooked beef.
Complexity level: Easy
Time taken: 2 hours 15 minutes
2 lbs of boneless beef chuck (the best kind of beef to cook) cut into 1-inch cubes with the excess fat removed.
1 lb waxy and low starch potatoes (e.g. Yukon golds, red-skinned potatoes or white round potatoes), chopped into 1-inch lumps.
2 large carrots cut into 1-inch pieces.
2 large celery ribs sliced into 1-inch pieces.
1 medium onion, chopped well.
3 cloves garlic, smashed.
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce.
2 Tbsp tomato paste.
Â¼ cup vegetable oil.
Â½ cup frozen peas.
3 Tbsp flour.
3 cups brown stock or beef stock.
Â½ tsp dried oregano.
Â½ tsp dried thyme.
Â½ tsp cracked black pepper.
1 bay leaf.
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped.
- The best apparatus for cooking beef stew is a large Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid. The oven has to be pre-heated to 300Â°F (150Â°C).
- Use clean paper towels to absorb excess moisture off the beef. Season the meat with Kosher salt for added taste.
- Heat the oil over a high fire in the Dutch oven. When the oil reaches a simmering temperature, add the beef. Don’t overcrowd the pan, but take your time to make sure the sides of the beef cubes darken nicely. All sides of the beef must have a rich brown crust to be considered ready to be removed from the pan.
- Next, lower the heat to medium and add the onions to the pot. Saute for 5 minutes or until they turn slightly soft and transparent. Toss in the smashed garlic and cook for another minute.
- Decrease the fire to medium low and stir in the flour to create a thin paste on the pan . Continue to stir the paste as it cooks for a couple of minutes .
- Pour in the stock slowly, gently scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze.
- Mix the bay leaf, dried herbs, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and the cracked pepper into the pot. Finally, submerge the browned beef and boil the liquid on the stove top.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and move it to the oven, where it should be braised for one hour.
- Introduce the potatoes, carrots and celery into the pot after it has been removed from the oven. Cover the pot again and allow it to cook in the oven for another 30 minutes until you notice the tenderness of the potatoes.
- Shift the pot from the oven to the stove top. Remove the lid and let the mixture simmer until the stew thickens or alternatively, until another 15 minutes have passed.
- The next addition is the peas followed by a touch of Kosher salt for seasoning. The dish, with chopped parsley as the garnish is ready to be served.