Tyler Florence is a classic Italian dish that is prepared by using California zinfandel. The secret behind its mouth watering taste is the topping that is done with a sweet and tart of kumquat gremolata. It is a Cadillac of the braised dishes. Keep exploring sources around you and try your creativity to make a delicious dish. Here is an amazingly delicious recipe of California Osso buco with kumquat cranberry gremolata:
It takes approximately three hours to cook this dish.
It will easily serve six people.
The ingredients that you need:
Here is a list of ingredients that you should be ready with before preparing the dish:
1. You need to have one cup of flour.
2. Next you need kosher salt and the freshly ground black pepper.
3. Extra virgin olive oil is a must to add that special flavor.
4. You also need about three tablespoons of unsalted butter.
5. One diced onion.
6. One diced celery stalk.
7. You need two carrots that are peeled and diced.
8. Bay leaves are a must to add great fragrance.
9. About Â¼ cup of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley.
10. Be ready with about one bottle California zinfandel.
11. Have two cups of low sodium beef broth.
12. Be ready with whole san marzano tomatoes that are properly drained.
Ingredients that you need for the Gremolata:
1. You need about four cups of pine nuts.
2. Make sure you have one cup of sliced kumquats.
3. You will need Â¼ cup dried cranberries.
4. You should have two garlic cloves that are nicely minced.
5. You should have about two tablespoons of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley.
Directions to prepare the dish:
1. Firstly, you should put the flour on a large plate and season it with a good amount of pepper and salt. Next, you need to dredge the veal shanks with the seasoned flour and kindly tap the excess of it. Now, heat a large sized pot and put about three counts of oil in it. Add to it butter and then swirl it around the pan and let it melt. Gently add the veal shanks on all its sides and turn the tongs carefully. Then, pour little more oil and finally remove the browned veal shanks over the plate.
2. In the next step you need to preheat your oven to about 375 degrees.
3. Now you need to add the onions, bey leaves, carrots, garlic, celeries and the parsley to the pot and just cook them at a medium heat. Make sure that you cook the vegetable until it gets brown and begins to develop a rich aroma. The regular seasoning of salt and pepper is a must. Next, you need to place the veal shanks again into the pot and add wine to it and bring that to boil. Cook it at a reduced heat level for twenty minutes. Keep adding the beef broth and the tomatoes by crushing them with your hands and stir them properly together. Next cover the pot and transfer it to the oven to further braise the veal for two hours. Cook it until the sauce gets thick and is falling off the bone.
4. Here comes the time to make the gremolata. For this, you need to toast your pine nuts in a dry skillet and over a medium heat. Always keep in mind that you frequently shake the pan until it gets golden. Let the pine nuts cool and then chop it finely and put in the mixing bowl. Gently fold the kumquats, the cranberries, and the parsley.
5. Your dish is ready to serve in shallow bowls. Sprinkle the gremolata over it.