There is a fine line of distinction between excellence and perfection. But crossing that line makes a world of a difference. This holds good when it comes to baking cookies as well. Baking cookies is an art and a science too. The dough to be used and quantities of ingredients form the science part of it while slight changes in the ingredients and process form the art part of it. Nothing can be a greater delight than making the perfect cookies at home. And that is a definite possibility. Here are 10 tips to achieve the same.
1. Get the correct measurements of the dough. Too much of it gets the cookies dry and hard. Too little and the cookies get mushy. This implies getting the directions for the flour amount right and then using a good measuring jar to pour it out.
2. Reducing the flour gets the cookies softer. So, it would be a nice trick to reduce the amount of flour needed by about 1/4th of a cup. The cookies will come real tender then.
3. Chilling the dough is a tip that will help in many ways. Firstly, the chilling will help the dough to maintain its shape which makes it easier to work on. The process of chilling also allows the dough to relax and adds a distinct improvement in the flavor.
4. Making use of a marble rolling pin or a silicone rolling pin will ensure that you get nice and tender cookies. It will also ensure that the dough wastage is minimal. Or else, you could use a stockinette over the rolling pin so that the dough does not stick and makes rolling easy and even.
5. Having a perfect temperature reading for the oven is important. Even a slightly higher temperature can burn your cookies. It would be advisable to set the oven temperature about 5 degrees lower than the recommended one. Reduce the oven time of the cookies with each passing batch.
6. Softening the butter for the cookies should be done at room temperature with patience. Doing it fast in an oven results in an uneven melt. This will also change the cookie structure and consistency.
7. One great way to improve the texture of cookies is to pre-freeze the dough. Make the cookie dough into balls and then freeze then. Bake them direct from the frozen state. This way, you could do the ‘boring’ part of making dough on one day and enjoy the next day with baking.
8. Baking cookies is not a regular affair. Thus, there is a chance that the ingredients you have are months old. A neat tip to get good cookies is to make use of fresh ingredients – baking soda, spices, sugar, flour and vanilla.
9. Another intelligent trick is to take the cookies out of the oven about 1-2 minutes before the recommended times. Rest assured the the heat remaining in the cookie sheet will complete the baking process for you.
10. Make exact measurements to get cookies look professional. Using a cookie scoop ensures same sizes for the cookies. And utilizing insulated sheets while baking ensures that the cookies all come out in the same color.